The SAMIP Innovation Challenge is for South African projects and organisations that are building news and information products that engage and inform local/underserved communities, by:
- searching for new ways to connect people with information,
- exploring new business models, distribution mechanisms and/or revenue generation opportunities, or
- creating platforms within existing news outlets for citizen reporting through mobile technology
The deadline for our initial funding cycle is midnight on October 31, 2017.
Projects should address one or more of the following focus areas:
Digital Native Products
New approaches to collecting news and information, and to reporting, storytelling and distribution that embrace the possibilities of technology.
Reaching rural communities
Innovative approaches to reach and empower people outside of major urban areas, and those generally underserved by existing news media.
Engaging people in official languages that are underserved
Attempts to engage and distribute content to communities in vernacular languages that are underserved.
Technology innovation for distribution
New media technology for local news that can find ways to distribute all forms of media in a cost-effective and sustainable way.
New Revenue opportunities
Innovative solutions to revenue challenges that media companies face – how can we open up new revenue streams to make media organisations more sustainable and independent.
Transition to digital
Finding and implementing solutions, products or processes that assist legacy media to transform their businesses.
Who are we looking for?
- You could be an existing independent media company, a non-profit, or a new venture that is just kicking off.
- We are looking for mission-driven companies and organizations passionate about trying new approaches to local news and information.
- We encourage applicants who don’t have traditional journalism and media backgrounds, particularly from the areas of technology, design and business.
A total of ZAR 3 million of grant funding is available to support independent media (covering existing companies, non-profits, and new ventures) in South Africa.
This is the initial disbursement of the total funding available through SAMIP – the South Africa Media Innovation Program.
SAMIP is a 3-year long program that will provide capacity building and financing to independent media in South Africa. The aim of the program is to promote innovation within the media sector, and also foster new voices. Winners will be selected by the SAMIP Advisory Panel, subject to approval by the MDIF Board of Directors.
- Cash Prize: Up to ZAR 500,000 (*depending on budgets, we will consider smaller projects that apply)
In addition, winners will be admitted to SAMIP and benefit from capacity building:
- on-going strategic advice, (expert advice)
- tailored one-to-one consulting, (mentorship)
- targeted group training designed to help participants’ financial viability and audience reach (training)
- further funding, if approved by Advisory Panel, based on favourable initial results
Read more: https://samip.mdif.org/innovation-challenge/